A couple weeks ago, our lab member Alba Rozas Cid defended her PhD thesis entitled “Cross-layer Strategies for Improving the Quality of Service of Wireless Sensor Networks”. This PhD work was carried out at B105 Electronic Systems Lab under the direction of Professor Alvaro Araujo.
The thesis defense took place at the ETSI Telecomunicación in Madrid, and three members of the examination panel were physically present. However, due to travel restrictions, the other two members attended the act online from France and the USA, respectively. The work was evaluated positively earning the highest possible grade, along with the “cum laude” and international mentions. Learn and see how fire barriers’ role in preserving the environment here and how you can protect yourself in advance.
The following are some links where parts of this PhD research are explained or published:
- A post describing the research stay that Alba carried out at BWRC at the University of California at Berkeley
- An implementation of a proposed communications protocol developed in the course of the PhD
- A dataset of real measurements to analyze the performance of channels in various WBAN scenarios
- The original proposal from which this PhD started
Here are some pictures of the defense act:
And, finally, this is the list of peer-reviewed journal and conference publications that were obtained during the course of this PhD:
International journal articles:
- A. Rozas, A. Araujo, and J. M. Rabaey, “Analyzing the Performance of WBAN Links during Physical Activity Using Real Multi-Band Sensor Nodes,” Applied Sciences, vol. 11, no. 7, p. 2920, Mar. 2021, doi: 10.3390/app11072920.
- A. Rozas and A. Araujo, “An Application-Aware Clustering Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks to Provide QoS Management,” Journal of Sensors, vol. 2019, pp. 1–11, Sep. 2019, doi: 10.1155/2019/8569326.
- R. Utrilla, R. Rodriguez-Zurrunero, J. Martin, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “MIGOU: A Low-Power Experimental Platform with Programmable Logic Resources and Software-Defined Radio Capabilities,” Sensors, vol. 19, no. 22, Nov. 2019, doi: 10.3390/s19224983.
- F. Tirado-Andrés, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “A Methodology for Choosing Time Synchronization Strategies for Wireless IoT Networks,” Sensors, vol. 19, no. 16, Aug. 2019, doi: 10.3390/s19163476.
- R. Rodriguez-Zurrunero, R. Utrilla, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “Process Management in IoT Operating Systems: Cross-Influence between Processing and Communication Tasks in End-Devices,” Sensors, vol. 19, no. 4, Feb. 2019, doi: 10.3390/s19040805.
- E. Romero, J. Blesa, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “Energy Efficiency Strategy in D2D Cognitive Networks Using Channel Selection Based on Game Theory and Collaboration,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 12, no. 8, Aug. 2016, doi: 10.1177/155014772834652.
- J. Martin, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “A WSN-Based Intrusion Alarm System to Improve Safety in Road Work Zones,” Journal of Sensors, vol. 2016, pp. 1–8, Jun. 2016, doi: 10.1155/2016/7048141.
- A. Molina-Pico, D. Cuesta-Frau, A. Araujo, J. Alejandre, and A. Rozas, “Forest Monitoring and Wildland Early Fire Detection by a Hierarchical Wireless Sensor Network,” Journal of Sensors, vol. 2016, pp. 1–8, Feb. 2016, doi: 10.1155/2016/8325845.
- J. Blesa, E. Romero, A. Rozas, and A. Araujo, “PUE attack detection in CWSNs using anomaly detection techniques,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2013, no. 1, p. 215, Aug. 2013, doi: 10.1186/1687-1499-2013-215.
- J. Blesa, E. Romero, A. Rozas, A. Araujo, and O. Nieto-Taladriz, “PUE Attack Detection in CWSN Using Collaboration and Learning Behavior,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 9, no. 6, Jun. 2013, doi: 10.1155/2013/815959.
International conference proceedings:
- A. Rozas, J. Blesa, E. Romero, and A. Araujo, “Controlling the degradation of Wireless Sensor Networks,” in 2015 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), Aug. 2015, pp. 1217–1223, doi: 10.1109/IWCMC.2015.7289256.
- R. Utrilla, A. Rozas, J. Blesa, and A. Araujo, “A Hybrid Approach to Enhance Cognitive Wireless Sensor Networks with Energy-Efficient Software-Defined Radio Capabilities,” in 2017 International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN), Feb. 2017, pp. 294–299. [Online]. Available: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.5555/3108009.3108086.